Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Friday, July 3, 2009

Applique Towel Tutorial

I have been having a ton of fun with appliques lately.
So I thought I would share some of my {non-professional} techniques, so you can make your own SUPER Cute Personalized Towel!
************

Start with a towel of your choice! I made one for each of my boys.
Henry's towel is blue
Grant's towel is green
Eli's towel is orange
Using my computer, I found a font that I liked and printed out an H, G, and E. {You can make the letter as big or small as you want.} You can use any font you like, but the simpler the font, the easier it will be to cut out and sew onto the towel. I cut out the letter, traced it onto some interfacing, and cut it out again.
Then I used spray adhesive and attached the cut out interfacing to my fabric of choice {make sure to attach the letter upside down so that the fabric will be on the top and the interfacing on the bottom}.
Next, I cut out the fabric letter and use more spray adhesive to attach the letter to the towel. This helps keep the letter in place so that it doesn't move around while you are sewing! The next step is to sew the letter onto the towel.
You can use either a zig-zag stitch or a straight stitch. I have tried it both ways, and they both work pretty well...it is really just a matter of preference. The zig-zag stitch is a little harder to master, but once you finish sewing you are basically done. If you want to do a straight stitch {which I did on these towels} you will have to wash the towel after you sew it, and then trim up any of the frayed edges with some scissors.
Basically with both stitches, you just follow along the outline of the letter to attach the fabric to the towel.
And you end up with a SUPER Cute Personalized Towel!
I hope this was helpful and maybe inspired some of you to get out your sewing machines! If you have any questions or need {non-professional} help with anything just let me know.

Visit thecsiproject.com
Pin It!

12 comments:

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I always wondered how to do this. It looks a lot simpler than I thought it would be. :)

Anonymous said...

Those towels are too cute. Thanks for the idea and instructions. I am going to try this myself. Happy Fourth!!

He & Me + 3 said...

My mom is the talented sewer in our family...so maybe I will show her in case I don't win. thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

The towels look great! I may have to get you to make some for my kids.

Emily said...

Wow! That is SO cute and does look relatively easy. I dont actually have a sewing machine (why would I need one when I can barely sew a button?) but I'm going to be at my mom's this week...maybe I'll get her to bust out her sewing machine and we'll get a little crafty...

Theresa said...

Too cute! I really need to give that a try! I love personalized stuff! Have a blessed day:)

Heidi Boos said...

What a fun way to personalize towels. I think I saw these towels at Target last night and was very tempted, but they didn't have any pink left and I wanted them to match!! ;)

Jennifer W. said...

So cute-and easy looking. If only I had a sewing machine! Those towels are really sweet.
Jen

Cassie said...

Those towels are too cute!

sweetbabies00 said...

I just found your blog tonight and I made a towel. Some adjustments, I didn't have spray adhesive, so I used iron on fusible and I did the whole first name..... so cute! She is 6 and made the swim team today. Yea! Thanks for the really cute tutorial!

kelly jeanie said...

This is great! You make it look so easy to this applique newbie.

Simplee Crafted said...

I just bought some cute beach towels at WalMart for $4. Love this idea of a way to personalize them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...