Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Football Windsocks

Early this week, I confessed that my front porch was still decked out with patriotic decor even though we are halfway through September. So yesterday I got busy making my porch a little more festive for football season instead of the 4th of July! I knew that I loved the look of my Tin Can Windsocks, and I wanted to put something up in their place...and what could be better than some windsocks made to look like FOOTBALLS!
I started with the same supplies as my 4th of July version: old formula cans, spray paint, ribbon, white contact paper, and twine. I cleaned out the cans, dried them really well, and then sprayed them with a good coat of brown spray paint.
After the paint dried, I brought them inside to decorate with white contact paper. I cut one inch wide strips of contact paper long enough to go all the way down the side of the can. Then I cut 3/4 inch strips that were about 3 inches long to make the cross stitches. I used 2 of the longer pieces and 6 of the shorter pieces per can so that I had a "football" on two sides of the can.
This is where this project gets really fun, because now you can personalize them to show your team spirit! I used maroon and white ribbon because we spend most of the year cheering for the Mississippi State University Bulldogs...plus the boys' school colors are maroon and white too! I think these would be really cute with almost any team color combo...blue and orange for Auburn, purple and gold for LSU...whatever team you cheer for! I cut my ribbon into 12 inch lengths and then hot glued them inside the can alternating the two colors.
After you add your ribbon, make two holes in the top of the can with a screwdriver and hammer. Then feed your twine through to make a hanger for your windsock.
Hang your Football Windsocks proudly on your front porch and then get ready to cheer on your favorite team!
How do you decorate for {or celebrate} football season?

Photobucket"
Pin It!

21 comments:

Amanda said...

I love it! The footballs are just adorable!

~Shari said...

Great Idea!

Kmama said...

Those are super cute!! I might actually be able to do something like that.

Kelli said...

Those are great Kelli. Makes me even more ready for football season.

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

These are so cute! I might have to make one for my brother, who is the biggest football fan I know. Thanks for the inspiration!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Those are fun!!! What a cool idea, Kelli, to do footballs. :)

Lynn said...

What a FANTASTIC idea! That is definately a great craft tip!

Lynn

aggieam01 said...

These are so cute! Love them. I want to try this in our Texans colors. Thanks for the inspiration!

Foursons said...

I need you to be my neighbor so that when you get bored you can come decorate my house.

Miller Racing Family said...

Very cute idea. I love how you made the ribbon to match your team colors.
Looks like you are getting back into the crafting groove!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

So easy! I love them see your not a slacker :)

Star Talks said...

Such a cute idea. Love how they turned out!!!

Beth said...

Thanks for the blog visit! I absolutely love these windsocks! I will have to put these on my to-do list, but I will be changing the colors to orange and white (Go Vols!)!

Sara @ Mom Endeavors said...

Kelli, these are adorable!! Such a fun fall football craft! I've started a weekly football related link party that's running every Saturday through the fall and I would LOVE to have you link these up there! :) http://www.momendeavors.com/2011/09/college-football-saturday-tailgate-week-2.html

Crafty Mischief said...

What a fun idea! I saw this on Just a Girl and had to come check it out. My son wants to have a football birthday party. These would be awesome!

Amanda said...

Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts today! You can see it here
http://funfamilycrafts.com/football-windsocks/

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them :) If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

Leslie said...

So I don't know if you do Pinterest at all, but I made a pin about this craft on your blog because I thought it was SO cute and usable. Hopefully it'll get you some traffic to your site as well. :)

http://pinterest.com/pin/213230305/

Rachel Sue said...

love this! I would love to feature this on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Thanks!

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

Love this-I even have a can.

Unknown said...

I need 22 cans to make these for each one of our boys on our football team. Can you recommend what else I can use to make these?
Thanks!!

Unknown said...

I need 22 cans to make these for each one of our boys on our football team. Can you recommend what else I can use to make these?
Thanks!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...