Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Corndog Pancakes

Last week {I think maybe Tuesday} was National Pancake Day. I can thank twitter for that knowledge... unfortunately I didn't see it until after the boys had eaten cereal for breakfast and headed off to school. If you've been around my blog long, then you know that a food holiday is the perfect excuse for me to make something fun and yummy. But I didn't want to just do plain old pancakes for dinner on National Pancake Day. No, we needed something new, something fun, something not sweet for dinner. I saw Rachael Ray make Corndog Waffles a few weeks ago...and I thought, why not turn my pancakes into corndogs {or my corndogs into pancakes}! And so the Corndog Pancake was born:) Now I know it sounds kind of gross, but I promise they are AWESOME!
I started with a box of corn muffin mix. Any brand will do, but I love Jiffy brand because it's a sweet cornbread. There is a recipe on the side of the box for corn pancakes. Follow the recipe on the box Basically you add more milk than the normal recipe plus a little bit of melted shortening along with one egg, {I had to tweak mine a little because we were out of eggs, but they still turned out great} then mix up your corndog batter.
Next, cut up a couple of hot dog wieners. Any brand will do...whatever your family likes. Little rounds would be fun in this, but I am still paranoid about my kiddos choking on hot dogs so I cut my little rounds into halves.
Toss the cut up hot dog pieces into the batter and give them a good stir.
Heat up your griddle, spray it with non-stick spray, and then ladle on the batter. Watch for bubbles to form around the edges of the pancake. This batter is a little thicker than normal pancakes so it can take a little longer to cook, and it can be hard to tell when they are ready to flip. I just watched the edges and lifted up the side a little to see if they were ready to flip.
The corndog pancakes will turn a golden color and some of the hot dog pieces may get a little brown...that's okay it will make them taste even better:)
Plate them up and drizzle on a little bit of ketchup, mustard, or both.
These were so fun to make and seriously really yummy! I think the sweetness of the corn muffin mix is what made them so good! We are planning on doing a lot of cooking on the griddle when we are camping in the Airstream, and these will be added to the camping dinner schedule for sure:)
Linking up here..
Tatertots and Jello
Serenity Now
Someday Crafts
Skip to my Lou
Pin It!

16 comments:

Kmama said...

That sounds really good! I just might have to try that with my boys. I think they would like it as a treat!

Quilty Conscience said...

I love the posts on your Airstream. I found, and then talked my husband into buying a 1959 single wide trailer, on a lot, at the beach. No I can't see the ocean but I can hear it, for $23,000 dollars! I'm looking forward to staying there this summer and doing fun things to it. Much like you are doing! Thanks for all the ideas!

Darcie said...

Who would have ever thought! That is a kid 'yummy' dinner.

Kelli said...

Oh.my! You have such a creative mind. I would have never thought of this but it is PERFECT. We love corn dogs.

laxsupermom said...

Love this idea! Definitely going to try these! Thanks for sharing.

Jenilee said...

yum! I'm pinning it!

Kelly said...

Looks like something I will have to try with the daycare. I will take your word that they are good though and leave the eating to the kiddos :)

Foursons said...

This is a genius idea!

Anonymous said...

Oh definitely a kid-friendly recipe! I am like you and cut hot dogs so little. I fear choking since my sister choked on one as a child. My kids would love this :)

Mindie Hilton said...

Oh my boys big and small would love these. Please come share at Bacon Time's weekly fri-monday linky.

Suebanna said...

Oh those sound yummy.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

They actually sound good!

Sarah said...

Yum! I plum just posted on pancakes. Now I'm drooling.

Such a joy to stumble on your blog. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit, as this looks like a beautiful place to dip into all of God's goodness.

Splashin'
Sarah

Erin said...

These sound weird and awesome at the same time. I'm so going to make them =o) YUM!!!

Maria said...

Oh my goodness! Corndog pancakes?!?! Seriously??? AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I made corn dog muffins the other day but I love this idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...