Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Monday, August 13, 2012

Back to School Apple and Caramel Teacher Gift

My boys have been in school for a full week now. It doesn't seem like the summer should be over yet, but it is and we are slowly getting back into the groove of school and homework and lots of school papers. If you have been around my blog long, you know that I love to send little happies to my boys' teachers throughout the year just to let them know how much we appreciate all they do. So the boys ended their first week of school by taking their teachers these cute and {oh so simple} Back to School Apple and Caramel Teacher Gifts!
I looked all over the internet and Pinterest trying to find a quick and easy recipe for caramel dip. There are a ton of recipes out there, but the best one I found came for the adorable Alisa at The Sweet Life. It is so simple that it only calls for two ingredients: store bought caramels and a can of sweeten condensed milk!
The original recipe called for a bag of caramel bits, but our local grocery store didn't have them so we improvised a little. We used two small bags of caramel squares, and I'm pretty sure one big bag would be fine in this recipe too. I got a little assistance unwrapping all those caramel squares from two very excited helpers:)
Then I opened up this can of deliciousness and tried not to eat the whole thing with a spoon before it made it into my recipe!
I put the two ingredients into a microwave safe bowl, gave them a little stir, and then heated it in one minute intervals until it was melty and combined.
I poured the caramel dip into cute half pint mason jars. One batch of this caramel dip was just enough to fill four of this size jar.
I let the caramel cool a little, then I placed it in the bottom of a clear gift bag. I topped it off with a pretty red apple and tied the whole thing off with a little bit of raffia. You could tie on a cute tag, but we were running out of time and I thought it was plenty cute enough even without a tag!
This is a fun way to say thanks to your kiddo's teacher for all their hard work, and it's a great way to give that quintessential apple gift to the teacher without being just a boring old apple!

Linking up here..
Pin It!

9 comments:

Kelli said...

I so want to make this. Yummy caramel...you can't go wrong. Maybe it's time for me to get on Pinterest.

Maggieb said...

You're so sweet to always remember the boys' teachers! Wish I had one in my class! :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Love this idea!! What a fun Fall gift. :)

Paula@SweetPea said...

I am sure that each teacher who received one of these was thrilled. This is a unique and thoughful gift.

Kmama said...

That is very, very cute! I love the idea.

Carrie said...

Love it! I will have to remember this! :-) I know the teachers love your thoughtfulness!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing with us at Someday Crafts! I will be featuring your project tomorrow on the blog. Please stop back in and grab a Featured at Someday Crafts button for your sidebar. Thanks for the inspiration!

The Crump Family said...

Do you think this needs to be refrigerated?

Kent said...

Love this idea! Also wondering if it needs to be refrigerated?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...