Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Groundhog Day Donuts

Groundhog Day has always seemed like such a strange holiday to me. Maybe it's because I live in the deep south and the groundhog seeing his shadow or not really has no effect on our winter {because we really don't have winter down here...it's been in the 70's almost every day since Christmas}! But I do remember the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray being hilariously funny though it has forever since I've seen it:) Anyway, we haven't ever really celebrated Groundhog Day at our house. I think the kids may do a little craft or something at school, but nothing big. Last year I saw the cutest cupcakes on the Family Fun website...but I saw them too late to make them. Luckily this year I remembered that Groundhog Day was February 2nd before February 2nd actually got here:) So here this is the SUPER fun Groundhog Day treat that my boys will be starting their day off with tomorrow:
Groundhog Day Donuts
{I'll make them eat some fruit too since this thing is loaded with chocolate!}
 Start with any kind of donut you like. You could even make these SUPER easy homemade donuts. I was being lazy so I just bought a dozen glazed donuts at the grocery store. You will also need some chocolate cookies, chocolate candy coating, and Nutter Butter cookies cut in half {or another oblong shaped cookie if you have peanut allergies to deal with}. I also used some sprinkles and a couple of chocolate chips to decorate the groundhogs face but they didn't make it into the picture.
 Start by crushing your chocolate cookies in a ziploc bag.
 Then set up an assembly line.
Donuts
Chocolate Candy Coating
Crushed Cookies
Foil to place the donuts on
 Dip your donut in the melted chocolate. Shake off the excess chocolate. Then dip them into your crushed chocolate cookies.



While the chocolate is hardening on the donuts, decorate your Nutter Butter groundhog face. Simply cut the Nutter Butter in half, then use a small dab of the melted chocolate to stick sprinkles and chocolate chips on to look as much like a groundhog as you can. I used some heart shaped sprinkles because that is what I had, but mini M&M's would work good here too.
 Stick the groundhog head down into the hole of the donut and you will have a SUPER cute groundhog sticking his head up to try and see his shadow!
These would be a perfect breakfast to start off Groundhog Day, or a really fun snack to sneak into your kiddo's lunchbox for school! Happy Groundhog Day...a day early:)
How do you celebrate Groundhog Day?
Pin It!

12 comments:

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

So freaking cute!

Jill said...

So fun!! I love this idea...even better - no baking needed. :)

Kelli said...

What a fun (& tasty) idea. I need to come down and visit now because I would love to feel 70's right now :)

amanda said...

oh my word. those look like the cutest little donuts ever. and yummy. and you've officially made me want donuts. :)

Dee said...

Super cute! I repined these! :)

Erin said...

These are so cute! And seriously, a glazed donut dipped in chocolate?! Holy smokes. I'm in!!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Kelli, those are almost too cute to eat. Notice I said "almost." The chocolate would have me stuffing them in my face before the girls even got a chance. ;)

carissa said...

this is so cute! tomorrow is my Hunter's birthday so i always forget it's groundhog's day, too! : )

AiringMyLaundry said...

Oh man, now I'm hungry. Yum!

Carrie said...

those are too cute! I didn't even know it was groundhog's day! I love how you celebrate every special day! those look so good, and so fun! {so did the groundhog see his shadow? I always get confused on what it means if he sees his shadow or not...I seem to always get it backwards!}

Anonymous said...

They are absolutely adorable!!!

Myya said...

I seriously want you to be my mom!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...