Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Friday, June 3, 2011

Homemade Donuts

Did you know that today is National Donut Day? Really, it's a holiday...even the big chain donut stores {Krispy Kreme & Dunkin' Donuts} celebrate by giving away free donuts:) But instead of loading up the kiddos bright and early this morning for a free donut breakfast,  we made our own homemade donuts to celebrate!
 All you need to make your own homemade donuts is canned refrigerated biscuits, a rolling pin and a small circle cookie cutter....plus oil to fry your donuts and whatever glaze or toppings you want.
 I mixed up a traditional glaze with powdered sugar and water. It is also helpful to have a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet to catch all the gooey drips of glaze while your donut is cooling.
 Use your rolling pin and roll out the biscuit dough trying to keep it in as round as possible. Then use the small circle cookie cutter to cut out the middle of the donut. Save the centers and you can make your own donut holes too:)
 The next step is to fry the donuts. This literally only takes a few seconds on each side. Watch carefully and when you see the bottom half of the donut start to brown, flip them over to brown the other side. Take them out of the oil and drain on a paper towel for a few seconds.
 Now it's time to glaze. Simply toss the warm donut into your glaze and give it a few flips to make sure the whole thing is coated.
 Place the glazed donuts on your cooling rack to let them dry.
 Add sprinkles before the glaze sets. You can also leave them plain or add any other kind of topping you would like.....mini chocolate chips or crumbled cookies would be really yummy!
Since I have a house full of sprinkle-loving boys, we topped all of our donuts with sprinkles, then we had a yummy time celebrating:)
Happy National Donut Day!
Visit thecsiproject.com
Pin It!

33 comments:

Liz Mays said...

Who knew? What a time-saving step and I love biscuits to begin with...so win-win!!

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

I have been wanting to try this out for quite a while now. SO glad to know the results are do delicious!

Dee said...

We make cinnamon sugar ones just like this - I am going to share my post on fb, forgot it was donut day! :) Donuts from biscuits are super yummy!

Foursons said...

You're speaking my childhood! Our toppings were always powdered sugar, cinnamon, and chocolate frosting.

Jeff and Valerie said...

Those look good - and fun to make. I was just wondering what kind of oil did you use and how hot was it? Thanks!

Miller Racing Family said...

What a blast. I will have to add this to our summer to do list.
Have a great weekend!

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

Those look so good. Gonna have to bookmark this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

the best thing is the kids get to have fun and be cooks too
KAT

Anonymous said...

Yum Kelli, so easy and delicious looking. Have a fab weekend!

jillian sara said...

I just died and went to donut heaven! Love your sweet blog! :-)

www.mamajillblog.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Stop it! I need some NOW!!! I'd love for you to link up!

http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/06/wow-me-wednesday-12.html

Jessa said...

Oh my they look amazing!

Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys said...

These look deLISH! I never would have thought to make them from biscuits like that! It looks so easy : )
I saw this on the Tatertots&Jello Weekend Wrap-Up
Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

Erin said...

Donut day??? How did I miss that! Drats! Yours look wonderful!!!

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Y-U-M!!! Love it! I would love if you could link this up to my Delicately Constructed Friday!! Thanks so much!
Have a great weekend!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

LBB said...

Thats one day I can't believe I missed out on!! Your donuts look so yummy :)

Life as we are living it said...

A definate must to try. Staying at home with three for the summer, I'm going to need a lot of ideas. Just found your blog and now I'm set. I am a Kellie with a 5yr old Grant too. Small world. Can't wait to see whats next.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

They look good! I've never made donuts before!

He & Me + 3 said...

I totally got my free one at Dunkin Donuts :) of course. But yours look just as good as Krispy kreme. Great job. Yum

Six Sisters said...

Oh my goodness! Those look amazing! We found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! We are your newest followers and would love for you to follow our blog!

www.sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

More Than Words said...

Oh my gosh..you get an A+++ for all your creativity!!!!!!!!!! I'm always so impressed by you!!!!!!!!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

we love making donuts around here...same way you make them. The only difference is we put cinnamon and sugar in a paper bag and drop the warm donuts in there (and shake).

My mom used to make them that way too..
Nothing beats a homemade donut!

Leslie said...

Oh, heck yes! I think we might be trying this recipe this weekend! Thanks for sharing!

Abbey D. said...

YUM!! I would love it if you linked up to our link party on Monday's at www.dimpleprints.com. Our readers would love this!

Jenn said...

Can I just say DELICIOUS!!! These look so good.

Camille said...

These look amazing!!! I am going to have to try and make these! I found you at TT & J and now I am your newest follower! I would love to have you follow back if you want to!
Camille @
http://SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Oh. My Yumminess!!!! I had no idea you could make these so easily!!! They look yummy too!

I host a weekly Friday link party. I would love for you to stop by and link up if you are interested!

Ashley
www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

Katie said...

Oh my, that looks amazingly deslih!! Will have to try!

Mindie Hilton said...

I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.

http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/06/any-link-goes-party-running-now-summer.html

Come strut your stuff.

LindseyFae* said...

AwWh mah goodness! Your pic caught my eye first in the link up part*ay.. love this recipe.. love your cute sprinkles!

Katie {Sweet Rose Studio} said...

These look absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing at the CSI Project link up!

Katie
www.sweetrosestudio.com

Katie {Sweet Rose Studio} said...

These look absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing at the CSI Project link up!

Katie
www.sweetrosestudio.com

Semele_74 said...

when I was a kid we used to do these just poking a hole in the biscuits with our thumbs. I've been meaning to do this with my son now that he's old enough to enjoy it... thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...