Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Olympic Ring Waffles

The 2012 Summer Olympics start this Friday, and we are getting excited about it at our house! We started working on learning a few different flags from the Olympic nations, we've set our dvr to record our favorite events, and we picked up exotic snacks from different countries to enjoy while we watch some of the world's best athletes compete. AND to get us even more in the Olympic spirit, I had to try my hand as some Olympic themed waffles to celebrate the games this year! I ended up with these fun and easy Olympic Ring Waffles that would be the perfect "breakfast for dinner" while watching the Opening Ceremonies this Friday!
Start with waffle batter divided into five bowls. I usually make my waffles from a box mix, but I decided to try out a homemade recipe {that was way more than five servings} so I just measured about 3/4 cup into each bowl.
Then color each bowl one of the colors from the Olympic Rings symbol. I used green, yellow, red, and blue food coloring for those colored rings, but I used cocoa powder for the black ring just because I didn't think a black waffle would be very appetizing:)
Stir the batter up well to make sure the color is incorporated good, then cook your waffles according to the directions on your recipe/package of waffle mix.
Remove your waffles from the waffle iron and let them cool slightly. Use a 3 inch circle cookie cutter to cut out the center of each waffle. If you don't have a circle cookie cutter you could use the lid to a mason jar or even a small cup or bowl. 
After you get all the centers cut out, line up your colorful waffles like the Olympic Rings and see if anyone in your family can tell what you made:) Henry figured it out pretty quickly, but I that was because he saw the webpage I had opened to make sure that I lined the waffles up correctly:)
Pin It!

17 comments:

Kmama said...

Those are just super cute!!

I love the Summer Olympics. I can't wait to watch swimming and gymnastics.

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

So cute!!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Awww! You're so creative, Kelli. Sierra's sitting right beside me and even she said, "Kelli's always thinking of something new and creative". She's right! You are Super Mom!!

Dee said...

Those are so fun!

Erin said...

These are great! How clever are you. I just love all your waffles creations!

Anonymous said...

This is so clever - I love it! I am featuring you on my site on Friday morning! Thank you for sharing!

Sugar Swings said...

i love this so much! you really should do a "waffle" book, there's a book for everything else, why not??!

Kelli said...

So cool as usual. I can't wait for the Olympics!!!

Unknown said...

I love this and I featured you in an Olympic round up, feel free to grab a featured button if you would like. http://www.missinformationblog.com/2012/07/an-olympic-party-roundup.html#

BTW I am a Kelley Wilson too!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh, cute! They look tasty too! I haven't watched the Olympics in a long time, but I bet the girls would love to cheer for the USA.

Missy said...

Thanks so much for sharing with us at Someday Crafts! I will be featuring your project tomorrow evening on our blog. Please stop back in and grab a Featured at Someday Crafts button for your blog. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lindsay Artsy-Fartsy Mama said...

So fun!! You are so creative!!

I featured you on my blog today, feel free to check it out: http://www.artsyfartsymama.com/2012/07/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-42.html

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

They turned out great!

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

What an awesome idea! My kids would get a kick of these for sure.

Jocelyn said...

Such an awesome and cute idea...love it!!!

Subha Vivek SV Handmades said...

WOW super mom!!!!

Bonita said...

Just letting you know that I linked to this recipe on a page I wrote about National Waffle Day. http://www.zujava.com/national-waffle-day

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...