Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

An Apple a Day


I find myself with uneaten and {almost} too old to eat apples again. I do this every few weeks. I go to the store and insist on buying a few apples so that I will have a healthy snack to grab instead of going for cookies or ice cream. Well, suprise suprise....the apples sit in our fruit bowl and slowly get softer and older...and I only like nice crisp apples!

After a few weeks of walking past the fruit bowl, I decide I really should make something with the apples and not waste them completely. I search allrecipes.com {my favorite website for recipes} and find the best apple recipe to make with whatever ingredients I happen to have on hand.

This weeks apple adventure is Warm Apple Pockets.

3 sweet apples -- peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons flour
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 (15 ounce) package prepared, unbaked pie crust, thawed
milk
1 egg, beaten

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. In a bowl, toss apple slices together with sugar, flour, salt, apple pie spice, and vanilla extract until evenly coated.
3. Lay pie dough flat on a lightly greased baking sheet. Pile apples on one side of dough, leaving a 1 inch border. Brush border and opposite half side of dough with milk. Fold dough over apples, being careful not to over-stuff or the dough will tear. Fold over edges and pinch together to seal. Cut several small slits in the top of the pocket with a sharp knife, then brush top with beaten egg.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until flakey and golden brown. Serve warm, or at room temperature.

I just happened to have a pie crust in the fridge....and I always have the other ingredients on hand...except maybe the eggs {which can be left out without changing the taste too much}. I followed the recipe with the exception of adding a little bit of brown sugar and using cinammon instead of apple pie spice.
Topped with a {generous} dollop of whipped topping, and you have a SUPER yummy dessert {and no wasted uneaten apples}!

Pin It!

14 comments:

Kelli said...

YumE! I love apple pie and this looks really easy too. Thanks for the pictures and for sharing.

Unknown said...

YUM YUM YUM!

He & Me + 3 said...

HOly Cow that looks so good. You are quite the baker. YUM

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

YUM! I saw a recipe the other day for little apple pies that kids could make using tortillas for crust. Somehow, they don't seem quite as appetizing after looking at your picture! :)

More Than Words said...

That looks awesome!!!! I always have apples like that too! Now I know what to do w/ them!! YUM!

Theresa said...

I do the exact same thing, buy apples... put them in a lovely bowl, walk past them until they aren't crunchy anymore and throw them away. I maybe eat two or three out of an entire bag. Wasteful I know, I'll have to try this recipe! Have a blessed day!

amanda said...

those look soooooooo yummy. you can cook some for me ANYTIME!! :0)

Emily said...

Ummm, I'm definitely go to have to try those! I like to cook with apples much more than I like to eat them plain.

Tracy said...

That looks yummy!!!

Mandy T said...

Ill be by later to get some!! lol

christy rose said...

YUM! YUM! YUM! That looks delicious!

Carrie said...

Seriously...with your baking and organizing..you could start your own business or write a handy little book on tips and advice! And I'll take the first copy, please :)

YUMMY!

Angie said...

I love Allrecipes too! It is my go to site for quick finds. Yummy looking apple pockets!!

desi said...

I also do that!!! what is it about apples and us? haha!!
im gonna try out this recipe!

x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...