Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cinco de Mayo Treats: Sombrero Cookies

When Henry's teacher asked me to bring Sombrero cookies to help celebrate Cinco de Mayo, I was a little hesitant. This week is not only Teacher Appreciation Week, but Grant's class is learning about Japan {which means I will be making Candy Sushi} and Henry has an award ceremony on Thursday {he got highest GPA in his class for the year!}. I knew I had a busy week ahead of me, but Henry's teacher said she thought the Sombrero Cookies would be really easy to make so I agreed to give them a try:)
***********************
I found the directions on the Family Fun website, bought all the supplies, and then got busy assembling some fun {edible} Sombreros for Henry's class:)
Ingredients:
store bought sugar cookies
a can of white icing
gum drops
nonpareils or sprinkles
Start by putting about half a can of store bought icing into a ziploc bag. Then cut off a tiny piece of one corner to make squeezing the icing onto the cookie easy.
Using your homemade icing bag, squeeze a small bead of icing all the way around the cookie. It doesn't have to be perfect, once it is covered in sprinkles no one will even notice:)
Pour your nonpareils into a shallow dish and then place the iced cookie face down in the plate of nonpareils.
Turn them back over and add a drop of icing in the center of the cookie.
Add a gum drop to the icing then sprinkle on a few extra nonpareils to cover any extra icing.
Once you get your first cookie made and get a feel for it, these are SUPER easy to make assembly line style and the kiddos can even help by sticking on the gum drop!
I hope these Sombrero Cookies help make your Cinco de Mayo a little more fun and a lot sweeter!
Pin It!

36 comments:

Pedey @ Do You Smell That!!? said...

Perfect!!! I'll be making THESE tonight!

Anonymous said...

Those are super cool and perfect for kids, and best of all EASY!

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

You really have the best ideas!! I love these cookies!!

Carole Morris said...

I love looking at your blog. I have to admit that I have plans to steal some of your crafts. Thanks for the great ideas. I find them inspirational. :)

Carrie said...

So cute! You are one busy momma! I know why they always ask you to help! You never disappoint! And way to go Henry! Awesome job! Have a great week!

Kristen said...

C-U-T-E! what a fun coffee and breakfast I had this morning with my new reading material...YOUR BLOG! Yay me! I found you via blog hopping an am happy I did :) Following now.

Kristen
http://threeinthenest.blogspot.com

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

What a cute idea!!
I'm guessing you're the 'go-to' mom for all the goodies :)

Lisa said...

I have been searching for something for my daughter to take to her preschool tomorrow for Cinco de Mayo and these are perfect!! Thanks for posting!

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

Kelli, darling, as always! Love this!

laxsupermom said...

Love these! What a terrific treat for tomorrow. I'll have to make some tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Kmama said...

Those are adorable! I wish I would have thought of that. I sent in $1 to help the Spanish teacher buy something for the fiesta. I'm lame.

He & Me + 3 said...

Cutest things evah! Those look delish too!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh, Kelli, those are so cute!!! I bet the kids will love 'em!

Kerri said...

Oh my goodness....your cookies are adorable! Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

These are so darn cute! Love the idea.

Pink Fairy Vicky said...

They are just adorable!

Bridget said...

So cute and so easy!

Foursons said...

It it always Henry's teacher who asks you to make all these treats? It seems awfully presumptious to me to expect you to do this all the time.

On the other hand- these are cute and look super easy!

CM said...

Yum! They are totally cool!

Kelli said...

I'll have to remember these. Jamison is SO excited about Cinco de Mayo and she loves having Mexican night...these would be great to make. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of cookies on here :)

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Okay, those are super cute! And I always love ideas that don't look too difficult! :)

Anonymous said...

These are adorable!! I've never ever done anything special for Cinco de Mayo, but maybe next year I'll try out these cookies! FYI I gave you a quick shout out here: http://figgsandsuch.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/cinco-de-mayo-treat/

SweetSugarBelle said...

These are just SO DARN cute! LOVE!!!

kim c said...

wow...these are awesome. so simple. so cute.
spotted you at tater tots.

Amy @ Chicy-Creations said...

What a cute idea! I'll remember these for next year!

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

These so made me chuckle! Super cute....

Stopping by from tt&j!

Lina

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

These are so cute and funny!!! What a great idea!!
Following you now from http://willcookforsmiles.blogspot.com/

Isreview said...

Really cute !! Great idea!

Teachinfourth said...

This is such a cool idea! I might have to steal it for the fifth grade at my school this next year...

Printabelle said...

I wanted to let you know that I featured you in this round up at: http://printabelle.com/?p=2920. If you would like a featured button, I have one here on my About page: http://printabelle.com/?page_id=724

Bliss said...

Stopping over from your feature at 36th Avenue. You cookies are cute and clever so I had to pin 'em.

~Bliss~

Unknown said...

These are awesome! Question - how did you get them to school? Bc of icing and sprinkles I'm trying to figure out best way to transport them. Thanks!!!

Natashalh said...

Super cute cookies! I'm including them in a Cinco de Mayo tutorial roundup on my blog tomorrow. I'd love it if you have the chance to stop by!

Natashalh

Jenn said...

So cute! My daughter's preschool is taking their "passports" around the world the next couple of weeks and tomorrow they are "going" to Mexico. We just finished making these and I blogged about it, giving a link back to you. We ended up using cookies from Mexico and using larger gumdrops for an "authentic" sombrero look. Thanks so much, here's the link to our first attempt:

http://www.clevercraftycookinmama.com/2013/05/cinco-de-mayo-sombrero-cookies.html#.UYg_w8q7h-8

Joann @EuchreFun said...

These are so cute ... just what I was looking for!!

Debbie Harris said...

What a cleaver idea !
I am having a back yard Mexican Fiesta party for our church senior group and these will be perfect for a light dessert.
Thank you for sharing!
I found this on pinterest by the way.
Joy! Debbie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...