Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Nativity Garden Flag

The busyness of the season has made our holiday decorating plans come to a stand still...especially outside. Other than taking down the fall decor and adding a few red and green things to our front doors, the outside of our house doesn't have a whole lot of Christmas cheer going on right now...no lights, no garland, basically no decorations at all.
Since Jason is the crazy brave one who climbs up on the roof every year to hang the lights {and there was no way I was going to try that while he was out of town for work}, I decided to remedy our lack of outside decorations as much as I could by making a new Christmas themed garden flag for our yard. It was SUPER simple to make, and the whole thing was basically free because I used fabric scraps from my stash:)
Burlap and Felt Nativity Garden Flag:
I started by digging out some red and white material, red burlap, and my bag o' felt scraps.
After a couple of google searches for inspiration,  I drew a little sketch of what I wanted the design to look like...can you tell I'm not an artist!?!
I used an old garden flag as a guide and cut a double layer of the red and white fabric {folded at the bottom to make the bottom edge finished}. I added a little extra length to the top to accommodate for the hanger.
I used my pinking shears to cut the fabric so it wouldn't fray and I wouldn't have to worry about finishing the edges. I sewed around the two sides and the top with my sewing machine. You could easily make this no sew by using a hot glue gun!
I folded over the extra fabric to make the hanger, and then sewed {or hot glue} it into place.
I cut a piece of the red burlap to fit on the front of the flag.
I cut all the shapes for the Nativity scene out of felt. I laid the design out on the red burlap to make sure everything looked good, then I picked it up piece by piece and attached them with spray adhesive. After everything was in place on the red burlap, I turned the burlap over and applied a good coat of spray adhesive to it and then placed it on the flag. I also sewed around the edges of the burlap to secure it {and again you could totally use hot glue if you don't want to sew}.
With all the Santas, reindeer, and snowmen out there it can sometimes be hard to decorate for Christmas with Christ in mind, so I'm glad we have this little addition to our decor to remind us why we really celebrate this season! I'm thinking this might make a really cute kiddos shirt too...what do you think?!?

My sweet friend Richella  over at Imparting Grace is hosting a great linky party called Home for the Holy Days! A great place to share the ways you and your family keep Christ the center of your Christmas. Go over and check it out and say a quick hello to the oh so sweet Richella:)
Imparting Grace
Pin It!

14 comments:

Kmama said...

That's really cute. I like how you include the no sew options for people like me!

Anonymous said...

Super cute Kelli! I would totally have to hot glue everything!

Foursons said...

Very cute! We have lights up outside but half of them don't work. It'd probably be better to have no lights up.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

That's very cute!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

I love all of your garden flags!!!

And this would be adorable on a shirt!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

I LOVE it! I love nativity scenes, and your flag is just adorable!!

Miller Racing Family said...

This is so cute I love the bright colors. I will have to try these garden flags after I get all the Christmas projects done. Blessings.

Angie said...

I love this!!! It's adorable! You are so talented...I need to be more crafty like you!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Kelli, that is so cute!! Love that you pretty much came up with the design yourself. :)

Stop by this morning's blog post...you won the Little Doodahs Giveaway!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

You made a flag that truly represents the season. 'Nough said!

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

this turned out great! I'm a nativity fiend I'd love it if you would add them to my What We Wore and Made link party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

Gina said...

I love your flag! It is adorable!! I think it would make a great tee shirt. Thanks for the tutorial. :)

Richella Parham said...

Kelli, I love this! What a wonderful idea--and you make it look so easy! You have a real gift for making things like this--special things to bless your family and to help all of you focus on what's important. You inspire me greatly!

Thanks a lot for sharing this at Home for the Holy Days! I hope you and your beautiful family have a blessed Christmas.

Unknown said...

What a delightful project! Makes me wish I had a little flagpole. We shared a link to this post on our blog today! http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2011/12/afterschool-express-holiday-fun.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...