Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

100 Days

Today is Henry and Grant's 100th day of school. Their school always has a fun 100th Day Party with all kinds of fun 100 activities. Earlier this week both boys took baggies with 100 items in them {Henry took toothpicks and Grant took Conversation Hearts} to share with their class. And yesterday the boys and I helped Grant's teachers hang 100 balloons from the ceiling of their classroom.
Yesterday I was also up to my eyeballs in cake and homemade buttercream icing:) Grant's teacher asked last week if I would make a 100 cake for their class, and I was more than happy to help out!

 Honestly making a 100 cake really isn't that hard. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that all you need is a rectangular piece of cake and two round cakes. I mixed up two store bought box mixes. One I place in a 13X9 pan and the other I divided into two round 9" pans. After the cakes baked and cooled, I stuck them in the freezer to harder up. I've learned the hard way that boxed cakes don't keep their shape well when you cut them unless they are pretty close to frozen. After about an hour in the freezer I pulled out the two round cakes and used a 3" round cookie cutter to cut a hole in the center. To make the one, I lined the almost frozen 13X9 cake up next to the zero and cut it as proportionally as I could {sorry I forgot to measure how big the one was}.
 After I had the cakes cut and ready, I did a crumb coat of buttercream icing. I used the Vanilla Buttercream recipe from Cookies & Cups and it work really well. After I did the crumb coat I stuck them back in the freezer to chill for about 10 minutes. Then I added the final coat of icing. It's not perfect by any means...one of the reasons I don't make cakes often is because I can never get the icing as perfect as I want it. But the pretty M&M's distract you from the imperfections:)

Weekend Bloggy Reading
Pin It!

16 comments:

Phyllis said...

I think they are beautiful!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I think you did a great job!! Awesome tip on the M&Ms! I'll have to remember that. :)

Carrie said...

I love that idea! And I think it's perfect...espcecially since it's going to get eaten by a bunch of cute little boys :-) Great idea! I'm not sure when our 100th day is anymore...it's coming up! We've had NO snow this year, and we usually always miss our 100th day from snow days. :-)

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

You have got to be the best homeroom mom ever!

BTW, it's not rocket science but I hadn't thought of how to make a 100 cake. Now that you wrote it, I'm like, oh yeah, duh! :)

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

What a fun cake!
My son's 100th day is next week, I may try one of these cakes. I bet the kids would get a kick out of it!!

Ahhh Mom said...

Looks great! Can't wait until one of my babies is in school so I can make one!

Anonymous said...

Oh you did a great job! How fun:)

Angie said...

Great job on this cake. It looks amazing. I bet it tastes as good as it looks!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Oh it's absolutely adorable!!! ADORABLE! I'm terrible with frosting cakes, but yours looks amazing!

CM said...

That is awesome! I wish my son was in your son's class! :-)

The Cheese Thief said...

The students must have been thrilled!. The cake is beautiful

The Mommy Therapy said...

This is adorable! I love the idea of celebrating the 100th day of school. They do this every year? Too cute. Way to go on the cake!

Myya said...

Looks great & yes, M&M's are a great distraction :)

Kelli said...

You are simply the coolest mom EVER!

Unknown said...

I think you did a great job, you have some lucky kids!

Unknown said...

I saw your cake on Serenity Now. It is super cute! I love the creative ideas for the 100th day. I also saw your kissing ball on pinterest and I'm inspired to give it a try. I'm your newest follower.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...