Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Friday, November 16, 2012

Sugar Cone Cornucopia

I saw these SUPER cute Thanksgiving treats floating around the blog world last year. And I have to admit that when I first saw them, I was pretty skeptical that they would work....that's probably why I didn't attempt them last year. But earlier this week when our preschool choir director asked if I could come up with a snack for the kiddos, this was the first thing I thought of. I searched Pinterest and found a couple different versions all with different directions {I never did find what looked like the original inspiration. If you know where it is let me know and I'll credit them!}, so I grabbed a couple of sugar cones and tried out a few techniques. After a failed attempts, I came up with the perfect way to make and fill these cute Sugar Cone Cornucopias!
Start by gathering your supplies:
sugar cones
chocolate 
fall sprinkles
Cool Whip
Reese's Pieces or M&M's
Take a couple of paper towels, fold them up into a square, wet them, and then ring out most of the water. You want them to be damp, but not dripping. Place your wet paper towels on a microwave safe plate, then place the bottom half of the ice cream cones on the paper towels and cover them up. I found that two at a time worked the best because you only have a little bit of time to work with them after they come out of the microwave.






















Microwave the cones for around 30 seconds depending on the strength of your microwave. You want the ends of the cones to be soft enough to mold without burning the part that isn't in the paper towel. You also need to re-wet the paper towel after two 30 seconds runs in the microwave.
Remove the plate from the microwave and pull back the paper towel carefully. They will be hot! Pick up your cones, and working quickly bend the end of the cone using your hands, the counter top, or even a clean pencil. You will have to hold the ends in place for a few seconds until they cool enough to keep their shape. 
This is a great projects for kiddos to help with, but they don't need to help with the cone making step because it can be really hot! So let them start helping after all the cones are made:) I actually made all the cones at home and then took them with all the other supplies to church and the kiddos all got to decorate and fill their own cornucopias! 
After you finishing forming all your cones, melt a little bit of chocolate in a coffee cup or small bowl. I used almond bark and I just put one square in my cup and microwaved it until it was melted. 
Then dip just the very end of the cone in the chocolate...
...and place your dipped cone in a small plate of fall colored sprinkles.
Set the cones aside so the chocolate can harden. While you wait on the cones, put your Cool Whip in a small plastic bag and clip off one of the corners.
Use the plastic bag to fill the cone up with Cool Whip...
...then place a couple of Reece's Pieces or M&M's in the Cool Whip. 
Now you have a SUPER cute Sugar Cone Cornucopia that kids and adults will love!

Linking up here..
Pin It!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Too cute! I love this!

Kelli said...

Adorable! I love how you made the tip bend. Genius!!!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

That is super cute! Plus, it looks delicious!

beccaw said...

Such a great idea, thanks for sharing! visiting from Serenity Now

Erin said...

Oh my gosh, these are so cute!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Absolutely adorable!! Love it, Kelli. :)

momto8 said...

FABULOUS!! the cornucopia i made for Thanksgiving was tedious and time consuming...I like yours way better...thank you!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...