Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Monday, July 26, 2010

Grad Gift Idea

One of the most important things that I had in my dorm room my first year in college was my cork board that I had filled with pictures of my family and friends from home. So when I started to thing about a gift for a family friend that is going to college this year, a cork board seemed like the most obvious choice. But, I didn't want to give her just a plain old pine wood cork board. I used a little spray paint, my cricut, and some ribbon to make it a little cuter and more appropriate for a teenage girl's dorm room!
 I started out by covering up the cork part and painting the wooden frame with my favorite Krylon Bahama Sea spray paint.
Then I used my Cricut to cut out a stencil.
I adhered the contact paper stencil to the board.
And sprayed the name the same color.
I hot glued on some cute polka dot ribbon just to add a little more color. Now, Haleigh will have a great place in her dorm room to keep all her favorite photos of her family and friends!

Pin It!

19 comments:

Kelli said...

She is going to LOVE that! I was the same way with my corkboard in college. That is very creative and something I'm sure she will treasure.

Emily said...

Adorable!!! Perfect graduation gift!

Lisa and family said...

That's so cute! My oldest daughter is headed to college for the first time next month, I think she needs one of those!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

so cute!

Stephanie said...

That's such a great idea! Love how you personalized it!

Kelly said...

Very cute! Thanks for the idea of using the Cricut to cut out a stencil - I learn new stuff about that machine every day! I have a few corkboards lying around and my hubby's best friend is about to send his firstborn off to college so this will be a perfect gift for her. You're the best!

Colleen said...

that's adorable! what a nice gift!

Kmama said...

What a great idea! Perhaps the best gift I received was monogrammed towels. No one ever got confused about who's towel belonged to whom.

Carrie said...

You are so creative! She will love that..and to have it custom-made! Love it! That is really a great idea for anyone...who doesn't need extra space to store notes and photos! Really fun!

Unknown said...

Super CUTE Kelli~ love this idea! it would be super cute added to CraftOManiac's linky party going on now... wink wink. Have a super day! hugs, Jenn

Ruth said...

So very cute!!! What a neat idea!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

What a great gift!! The stenciled name at the bottom is perfect. :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea. Love this and it will be used that is for sure!

He & Me + 3 said...

That is an awesome idea. I love it. A thoughtful gift too.

Steph said...

Super cute!

Angie said...

Way too cute! Layla needs one for her room...do I place my order here? ha!

Kelly said...

I wish I was half as crafty as you! I love all your ideas. You should have a blog...just for crafts you do! Your ideas amaze me!

Lisa at Paint in my Hair said...

what a great gift idea!!

OurWanderingAdventures said...

What a wonderful idea!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...