Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Friday, October 8, 2010

Cake Decorating with Kids

I spent a couple hours yesterday doing this:
The boys' school fall festival is today and this year we decided to attempt the cake decorating contest. So while they were at school, I got busy making two three cakes. When they got home, and after the cakes had been cooled, they got busy with the icing and decorations.

I didn't get any action shots of Henry making his cake, mainly because I had a billion things going on at once, but here is the finished shot of his Campfire Cake. It is a big version of THESE cupcakes that we made for his birthday last year.
Grant made a Candy Corn cake. After the cake was cooled, I cut it out in the shape of a candy corn and put a crumb coat of icing on it for him. Then we colored some orange and yellow icing and he got busy making a SUPER cute candy corn.
I was pretty impressed with Grant's decorating skills. He did an awesome job smoothing out the icing and was very particular about getting it just right.
I think it turned out pretty cute for a 5 year old decorating it...I don't think I could have done much better!
Pin It!

18 comments:

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

what fun!! The candy corn cake is just plain adorable!! I may have to make one today :)

Amanda said...

Too cute! Your boys did a fantastic job!

Carrie said...

They are cute little bakers! Those are making me hungry first thing this morning :) I love both of those! what great ideas! Good luck in the contest!

Lyndsay said...

They did a great job! Hope they do well at the festival.

KTW said...

Those are adorable! :) And I admire the fact that Grant's shirt appears to be frosting free! ;)

Kelly said...

Totally adorable! What a fun contest! I think they'll be hard pressed to lose :)

Kelli said...

That campfire cake is wonderful, I remember when you did the cupcakes. I think Grant did a fab job on decorating his candy corn cake. You are such a good mama!!

Anonymous said...

How fun. They both are wonderful and he did an AMAZING job icing...good luck at the contest!

Angie said...

What a fun thing to do...and I LOVE THE candycorn cake....right up my alley! Thanks for sharing yet again another FABulous idea :)

The Tesdalls said...

Those cakes look so great!!!

Jamie Wells said...

Wow, I couldn't make a cake look that good! I love your blog you are the coolest mom ever!

{Kimber} said...

so cute!! you are training them right early :)

Emily said...

Wow. Grant did an AMAZING job!! And it looked like he's learned one of the best thing about being a cook is the ability to sample what you're cooking! :)

Foursons said...

He did a great job! Both boys did. How'd they do? Did they win a horrid white ribbon like Jakob? :D

Miller Racing Family said...

Wow, you all did great. I love the campfire cake!
I hope you all have a great weekend!

He & Me + 3 said...

That turned out so cute. I love it.

Kitty Deschanel said...

Cake decorating with kids? I expected a MESSY cake, but this looks wonderful! If you get a chance, I'd love for you to stop by tonight or tomorrow to link up to Not "Baaad" Sundays with LambAround :)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Your boys did a great job!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...