Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Friday, April 22, 2011

Froot Loop Easter Egg Treats

Making fun treats with my kiddos is one of my favorite things about any holiday. We always make gingerbread men at Christmas and some kind of red, white, & blue dessert for the 4th of July. This year I wanted to make something new for Easter since we don't really have a traditional Easter treat that we always make.  I took an idea that I saw in my Family Fun magazine for Rice Krispy Eggs and changed it around a little to make things more colorful...and frooty!
We started with a big box of Froot Loops and bunch of empty bowls. Henry and Grant got busy sorting the Froot Loops by color, and Eli got busy eating the few Froot Loops that I gave him to sort:) You could also make this without sorting and have fun rainbow Froot Loop Eggs....but the sorting was half the fun for my boys!
I placed the sorted Froot Loops in my small chopper and pulse it a few times just to break the cereal up a little. Don't chop it up too small or it will turn to powder! Repeat this step for each of the colors of cereal and place them into 6 separate medium sized bowls.
Melt down marshmallow and butter like you would for Rice Krispy Treats. After the mixture is completely melted, allow it cool slightly then evenly divide the marshmallow mixture into the 6 bowls of different colored cereals.
Stir the cereal into the marshmallow mixture using a spoon or your hands. Either way you chose to do it is fine, just make sure to keep the cooking spray handy so that the marshmallow doesn't stick to your spoon or your hands.
Once everything is mixed together, hand it over to your kiddos and let them have fun stuffing it into {washed, dried, and sprayed with cooking spray} plastic eggs.
Put the cereal mixture into the two pieces of the eggs and then squish them together to make a solid cereal egg. We let ours cool a little inside the plastic egg so that it would hold it's shape better.
You can serve them up on a cute Easter plate....
...or display them in a basket as the centerpiece of your Easter table!
I love that they are colorful just like the real eggs we dye every year, and my boys love that they got to help make such a fun and yummy treat!


This week I'm linking up with my sweet friend Amanda and her fun Weekend Bloggy Reading linky! If you have some down time this weekend go check out all the fun!
Weekend Bloggy Reading
Pin It!

13 comments:

~Shari said...

I am telling you what!! You have the best idea evah!

Kmama said...

Very cute! Did you see the commercial for making rice krispy eggs and hollowing them out to add other hard candies in the inside? Genius.

Southern Fried Gal said...

This is a super cute idea. I love how you used fruit loops and incorporated sorting into the project. I may have to give this a whirl with my boy. Thanks for sharing!

At Home With Michelle said...

You ALWAYS seem to amaze me with all you do:) I love this idea!! I love your blog:)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

What a fun idea!! Aside from the sorting, this looks like a really quick and delicious recipe. I don't think my girls have tried Fruit Loops yet, and I think they'd love them!!

Thanks so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party! (Do you mind adding a quick link back to me?) Have a blessed Easter. :)

Amy @ dwell in the season said...

SO adorable! We are bringing dessert for Easter dinner, and this is giving me some fun ideas! Thanks! :)
-Amy

Erin said...

How cute are those?!?! I love that they are different colors but solids! Too cute!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

This is adorable! And I especially love activities that the little ones can get involved in.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is great! I really love the color sorting aspect- great idea! Thanks for the how-to, I'll be linking.

Kelli said...

I love this idea. I've seen them where they've been rainbows too. I'm sure the boys will gobble those up quickly.

Sommer said...

Wow so clever! I bet they taste as good as they look too lol. I'd like to invite you to share this at my VIP party this weekend. http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-12.html

Momma On The Run said...

How much Marshmallows and, butter did you use?

Katie @ OhhBaby said...

Those look yummy! I may have to make some tonight :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...