Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Paper Mache Easter Eggs: Non-Wreath Door Decor

Paper Mache! A bunch of you smart people guessed correctly that we were working on a paper mache project from my Crafty Sneak Peek yesterday!
**************
We started our project with some old newspapers, glue, and a giant plastic Easter egg that I picked up at Hobby Lobby. That was the only thing I could think of to use as a mold for our paper mache eggs, so I used a 40% off coupon and got it and two smaller eggs for around $12. Henry helped me tear up the strips of newspaper, then all three boys got their hands {and the rest of their bodies} dirty helping me cover the giant plastic Easter egg with the strips of newspaper coated in a mixture of water and glue. We put on about three layers of newsprint, then they got bored and ran off:)
After the newsprint layers were dry, I added a layer of torn up white printer paper....that way I could just glitter right over the white paper without painting, but the white paper also makes painting a little easier too.
After drying for two days, Jason carefully cut all the way around the egg with a blade and popped the two paper mache egg halves off the plastic egg. Now it was time to pretty up my eggs:) I got out some Martha Stewart glitter, glue, a foam brush, and a few pieces of wax paper to catch the excess glitter.
I poured the glue onto the egg, spread it around with a foam brush,and then sprinkled on the glitter as evenly as possible. I worked section by section and let each color dry well so that when I was shaking off the excess glitter the colors didn't mix.
After the eggs were pretty well coated with glitter I took them outside and sprayed them down with a clear coat to protect it from moisture and to keep the glitter from getting on everything!
After the clear coat was dry, I used my hot glue gun to add some decorative rick rack between the different colors of glitter.
The last thing I did was poke a small hole through the top of the egg to add a piece of ribbon for hanging. I tied a bow at the top of the ribbon and then tied a double knot at the end of the ribbon inside the egg to keep it in place.
And here they are fun and sparkly hanging on my front door!
I love that they are different than a normal wreath and I love that my kids actually got to help me make them...they just didn't get to help with the glitter part {it was messy enough without them helping}!

How do you decorate for Easter?
Visit thecsiproject.com
Pin It!

22 comments:

Kmama said...

So cute!! I also love that they aren't your typical door wreath!

Anonymous said...

They are super cute. I love them. You are such a creative mom!

Foursons said...

Nice job! That project has so many steps and so much potential for a huge mess- I am impressed that you did it!

LBB said...

Very cute! I love a good messy project!! & anything the kids help with is even better!

Darcie said...

Now I feel slightly dumb for not guessing just what it was. I LOVE it, and how you made it for each door! Your door is always so festive, and i am sure you bring a lot of cheer to all the neighbors.

Joanna said...

What a cute {and fun} project! We usually do a few little Easter things inside and I have a bunny wreath for the front door. I'd love to really get into decorating for all the holidays but it seems that time and money really are in my way. :-)

Carrie said...

So clever and CUTE! I love that idea! I haven't decorated for Easter this year...I only have an egg wreath on the front door and a smaller one hanging on our pantry door. Dan just put all the Christmas decorations away that I threw in the basement...he was getting tired of them! ha! I lost motivation :-)

Love this idea!

Jolene said...

Absolutely A D O R A B L E!!!!! I LOVE IT!

Autismland Penny said...

Great job! I'm gonna steal this idea and do a cross! THanks!

Paula@SweetPea said...

What a unique and fun door decoration!

I love Easter decorations. There are bunnies all over my house!

Angie said...

Great job! These are super cute!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

oh boy..do I love these!!?!?

Not to jinx it..but the house we want has a double door entry - I would love to start making decorations in 2s :)

1 Funky Woman said...

OMGosh, I'm in love! This is the cutesy Easter door I've ever seen!

Now following you from Twitter

Love for you to stop over to my blog at http://1funkywoman.blogspot.com

Megan

~Shari said...

This is adorable!
My dear grand daughter is enchanted with this. She wants to make one for our house..

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

They look so cute!

heidi said...

How clever and cute!

Miller Racing Family said...

What a fabulous project. I love that the boys got to help out. I might have to pass this along to Trey!
Hope all is well with your family.
Blessings!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Whoa! Those looked huge in the pic! LOL However, I am totally diggin' on them instead of a wreath. Great job!

LacyHolly said...

This is super cute!!! I love it!

Jami said...

Fun door eggs!!! Love how it was a family effort! I hope you stop by the Tuesday To Do party and share them!

http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/04/tuesday-to-do-5-and-4-list-makers.html

Smiles!
Jami

Dee said...

THey look great! I love them!

Sailing with bare feet said...

Love it !! Super fun



http://sailingwithbarefeet.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...