Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Monday, October 31, 2011

Monster Brownies & Halloween Costumes

I saw these SUPER cute Monster Brownies over at Amanda's Cookin' last year...and I have been waiting for a reason to make them ever since! I can't remember why I didn't make them for Halloween last year, but I knew they would be the perfect treat to take to our annual Halloween gathering this year! 
 I started with a box brownie mix. I know a lot of people who say they LOVE homemade brownies, but I've never made homemade brownies {and I've tried lots of times} that taste as good as Duncan Hinds Chewy Fudge brownies! I mixed my brownies according to the chewy {NEVER cake-like} instructions, let them cool, and then cut them into squares and rectangles. Then I made a quick icing from powdered sugar, water, and green food coloring. I piped a border around the the edge of each brownie, let it harden, and filled in the inside with the same icing. Then I got busy making some monsters with M&M's, mini marshmallows, licorice, and colored icing. Pretty cute, SUPER easy, and the perfect treat for the kiddos to help with! Make sure to head over and check out Amanda's Monster Brownies...they are WAY cuter than mine:)
 Here's a BIG little sneak peek of the boys' Halloween costumes for this year: A shark and a surfer dude!
You may notice that we are a man surfer dude down...that's because Grant has been sick since Friday. I finally took him to the doctor Sunday afternoon {thank goodness for after-hour and weekend sick appointments}, and he has pneumonia! Needless to say, he wasn't feeling up for costume night at Awana's last night! He started on antibiotics yesterday, and he is already feeling a ton better. I'm hoping to get a picture of all three boys in the costumes this afternoon...and I'm hoping Grant is feeling well enough to trick or treat at a couple of houses too!
Have a safe and HAPPY Halloween!
Miscellany Monday @
lowercase letters
Pin It!

14 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Those brownies are almost too cute to eat. The boys are cute in their costumes. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Food for Thought
http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2011/10/weather-changes.html

Carrie said...

You are never without something so creative and awesome for the holidays! those brownies are terrific! And what another great idea for Halloween costumes!!!

Poor Grant :-( I know just how that is...Emily was so sick last year with pneumonia at this exact same time. I'm glad he's getting better and hope he's ready for trick-or-treating tonight!

Amy said...

Oh, these are so cute! So sorry your little guy is so sick- that is terrible :( I hope everyone is on the mend soon and have a Happy Halloween!! xoxo

Angie said...

I love their costumes this year! You always do such a great job! Those brownies look amazing. Now I need a brownie today :)

Happy Halloween!

Unknown said...

I can't decide which costume is cuter!! Both of your sweet children look ADORABLE!

Anonymous said...

Yum those look delish minus the black licorice. Shorts? Oh how I wish. We have to bundle up tonight nothing usual. Have a great evening:)

Kmama said...

Oh my gosh! I LOVE their costumes. So stinkin' cute.

I hope Grant is feeling better and can go trick or treating.

Anonymous said...

The monster brownies are adorable!! I love your boys' costumes!! So cute! What a great idea! :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Love the costumes, Kelli! I hope Grant feels better very soon. Natalie's best friend has pneumonia right now too. No fun. :(

Cascia Talbert said...

Those brownies look really good! I love your boys' costumes. Have a fun and safe Halloween!

He & Me + 3 said...

Omgosh! It is going around. My daughters BFF has Pneumonia too. Crazy. I hope he is better soon. Love their costumes. Super cute.

Kelli said...

Those brownies looks yummy and so creative. They don't seem too hard either...thanks!!! I always use a brownie mix too..works so much better and tastes delicious. I'm sure these were a hit at your gathering.

Lorie said...

Really cute! My kids would love these! Well, and me too. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the Monster Brownies - what a great idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...