Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Monday, July 18, 2011

Project Airstream: Demo and Paint

A few weeks ago I shared that we were the proud new owners of an Airstream travel trailer. I shared a few pictures of the {in pretty good shape} exterior, but what I didn't show you was the interior. This is partly because it is outrageously hard to take a decent picture inside a tiny travel trailer, and partly because the before is pretty bad! But since we have made a little progress and now you can {hopefully} see a little bit of my vision, I have some interior pictures to share with you:) 

This is the front of the Airstream when you come in the door. This is a fold out couch, and the place that Jason and I will call our bedroom at night. There is an overhead compartment and some storage underneath as well. This entire room was covered with those beautiful cream colored curtains. In the bottom right side of the picture you can see just a little of the kitchen counter top. The kitchen area consisted of a small sink, an ancient oven, a non-working refrigerator, and a small pantry.

This is the view looking from the front toward the back of the Airstream. On the right is the fridge, pantry and closet. You can see all the lovely 70's gold colored trim, and the weird vinyl wallpaper that was on some of the walls. The thing on the ceiling is the {dirty by still working} air conditioner. You can also see the really cool overhead storage compartments which we are currently trying to salvage just to keep a little bit of that vintage 70's Airstream feel.
Down the hall to the left is the bathroom that was covered with 70's floral wallpaper. The bathroom also had a ton of gold colored trim and a yellow & wood grain toilet.
In the back of the Airstream there were two twin beds with a night stand between them. You can see more of the same curtains, and you can also see just a little bit of the {pink} carpet on the front of the nightstand. We are planning on putting bunkbeds in the area so that the back will sleep four instead of two.
When we got ready to demo, Jason started out just removing some of the furniture and some of the things we knew we weren't going to use. He quickly figured out that it would be easier for us to clean and paint if EVERYTHING was removed. So that is exactly what he did. This is a view looking toward the front of the Airstream where the couch used to be.
="">

This is the kitchen/bathroom side of the travel trailer. You can see that the only things left are a few pipes and some hanging wires.
This is the side of where the fridge, pantry, and closet were. Right after I took these pictures, Jason and I got busy scrubbing every surface with bleach and scrub brushes.
After all the walls were clean, we painted. The front area of the Airstream as well as the bathroom got a coat of Sherwin Williams Gris. A lovely gray color that isn't too dark, but also isn't beige either. The back of the Airstream {aka the boys room and the closet} got a coat of Sherwin Williams Drizzle. We actually matched this color to some bedding that I bought for the boys from Ikea a few weeks ago. I thought this color was light and airy without being too girly and it also goes really well with the gray we picked. 
You can also see that we painted the floor with primer just to make sure that any leftover 70's germs were sealed up:) We are planning on putting in laminate wood floors later, but for now the painted floors are much better than the dirty, stained floors that we had.
This weekend we worked on painting some of the partition walls and getting them back into place. I will share more pictures as we  make more progress!
Pin It!

31 comments:

Sunla Designs said...

I LOVE it! We've talked about doing this for years. I will have to keep following this and show Prince Charming once you are done. Maybe it will finally motivate him to do something like this!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

How much fun!!! This will end up being a really neat series, Kelli. Almost like renovating a home. :) Cool memories while you fix it up, and cool memories of vacations taken later. :)

Joanna said...

This is really great Kelli! Y'all are going to really change the whole appearance inside and make it your own. It costs a fortune to have a custom RV and y'all are doing it with a fraction of the cost and in an Airstream to boot!!

Kelli said...

Wow Kelli...you guys made some great progress. It's going to be so cozy when you all are done with it. Where's your first destination going to be?

~Shari said...

Oh my gosh! You all have been busy. But, my oh my you have really done a great job so far.

You are gonna love it when it is all said and done. I am a bit jealous. I would so love to have this project.

I am looking forward to the AFTER photos!!!

MommaD said...

This project is so exciting! I can't wait to see where it goes, both decor and driving wise!

laxsupermom said...

Wow! You've done so much already. Looking forward to more updates on this.

lisa said...

Wow! Looks like a lot of work, but I bet it's going to be amazing when you are done.

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

What a fun project!! And it's looks like it's going to be AMAZING when you guys are finished!!

Darcie said...

WOW...you really did take everything out!!! I think this is so great that both you and your husband are working on this together. Quality time spent with your honey...doesn't get much better.

He & Me + 3 said...

Wow you have your work cut out for you but it will be GREAT! I just know it.

Angie said...

Wow...you guys are rockin' this makeover! I can't wait to see how it turns out. Sheesh, that is some hard work.

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Someday me and my husband want to get an airstream!

Tracy said...

Wow, that is awesome! Y'all seem to be making great progress.

JoAnna said...

We've owned a campground for my entire life and I've never seen anyone actually gut a trailer completely like this! I hope you got that thing for free to make it worth all of the work you're putting into it!!

Kmama said...

Wow!! Look at the difference. I'm so excited to see the finished product.

Laura Beth said...

WoW!! Yall have done so much work already. I am sure it will look great & be ready for travel before you know it :) Thanks for your sweet comment about the paper map I made. It seems the perfect addition for tracking your awesome trips!

Anonymous said...

It looks better already! I cannot wait to see your posts on this, how fun. Although, I am sure there will be many headaches and frustrations. Remodeling is always that way!

Carrie said...

you have done so much work already! it looks so much cleaner and fresher...so funny that you 'sealed' up the 70s germs, lol!

I can't wait to see more! you and jason are so handy and creative...what an awesome thing to do together and for the whole family to enjoy! really fun!

carissa said...

wow - what a project! can't wait to see more.

Kalli said...

It is looking good. I can not wait to see the finished project!

amanda said...

how fun is that! what a project. but what fun. can't wait to see what your crafty good self does to it!!

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

I have to show this to my husband. We have discussed in the past getting a tear drop camper - but I bet for similar money we can get a camper like this and fix it up. I can't wait to see the finish project, i have no doubt it will be fantastic!

Jamie said...

How Brave you ARE!!! So excited to see the finished product! I have thought about painting the inside walls of my camper...Be I am afraid I might screw it up. Can't wait to see it all done.

Unknown said...

You are brave! I wouldn't be able to put it back together!

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

WOW! Can't wait to see the progress on your work. My parents used to own an Airstream when they were recently married!
Visiting from Tatertots & Jello :)

Beth said...

Wow! What am AMAZING project this will be!!! I know you will be so proud when it is finished, it already awesome!
Beth

Jenny said...

It looks great already! That will be so fun to watch it be renovated!

duncadadutch said...

Came across your blog through a friend's blog. It was so wild to see the inside completly gutted. My husband has found an Airstream that is already that way. He wants to invest in it to fix up; I keep saying, "Are you crazy?" Then I saw your blog. I think it would be a great idea. It will just take TIME. I look forward to following this project. We are going to call about the camper we found to see if we want to persue this idea too.
Have fun

Ruth said...

What a great project. It will be amazing and fun when it's completed. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Ruth

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I can't wait to see how it turns!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...