Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Red, White, and Krispy Treats

Rice Krispy Treats are a favorite quick snack at our house, and nothing makes Rice Krispy Treats better than dressing them up for the holidays with a little bit of food coloring:)
To make Red, White, and Krispy Treats you will need to make three separate HALF batches of Rice Krispy Treats.
{1 1/2 tbsp of butter, 2 cups of marshmallows, & 3 cups of Rice Krispies}
You also need a 9x13 pan, a 9x9 pan, a star shaped cookie cutter , and red & blue food coloring.
Start each batch by melting down your butter and marshmallows. Leave one batch plain...
...add a little bit of blue food coloring to one batch....
...and a little bit of red food coloring to the other.
Make the blue batch of Rice Krispy Treats first and put them into the 9x9 pan that has been sprayed well with cooking spray.
Next make the red batch and add it into your 9X13 pan filling up only half of the pan.
Last make your batch of plain Rice Krispy Treats and add them into the 9X13 pan with the red treats.
Once the Rice Krispy Treats have cooled, turn them out of the pans onto a cutting surface.
Using a bread knife, cut the white and red into long strips about an inch wide. I ended up with 4 strips of each color.
Place your blue treats into the top left corner of the larger pan and estimate the size that you want it to be. Trim off the excess blue treats with your knife and then place your blue square of treats into the pan.
Starting at the bottom with a red strip of treats, add in the strips alternating red and white, ending with red. I used 4 strips of red and 3 strips of white. You will have to cut the top three or four pieces to fit into the pan next to the blue treats.
Use the star shaped cookie cutter to cut a few stars out of the leftover strip of plain Rice Krispy Treats, and then add them on top of the blue section of treats.

Even though there are a lot of steps, this is actually really easy to assemble...the hardest part was washing my pot between each batch:) I'm sure adults and kids alike will be really excited to see this fun patriotic treat on the dessert table for the 4th of July!

Pin It!

19 comments:

Kmama said...

So cute and festive (and yummy too)!!

Anonymous said...

I love!!!

Kelli said...

I'm coming over! You know my love for Rice Crispy treats and this is so cute, but not too cute to eat ;) Enjoy!

Unknown said...

So cute! I have never made Rice Krispy Treats, but this one makes me want too!!!

Jennifer said...

What a fun idea. We're hosting a BBQ this weekend with lots of kids, and this would be a perfect dessert :)

Joanna said...

How clever! Never thought of dying rice krispy treats. The possibilities are endless. :)

Erin said...

Totally festive and yum! We love rice crispy treats!!!

carissa said...

wahhhh! you're my hero. awesome. i only can hope mine will look so perfect.

Lucia Metcalf said...

love it! so original!

Melissa said...

Love it! Kelloggs makes Gluten Free Rice Krispies now, so I can make this for my daughter :D

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Oooh, cute!! I was just thinking of some fun 4th activities for my girls. You always have the greatest ideas, Kelli! :)

Joni said...

great idea.. this is one of my kids' favorite snacks!

Miller Racing Family said...

Fabulous idea. The kids will love this!
Blessings!

Cindy Bultema said...

This is SO CUTE! I'm totally making this for the 4th. THANK YOU!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

so cute!!!
I may give this a try :)

Unknown said...

My kids would love this. Another great idea. Want to come to a bbq at my house with this? LOL! I am highlighting this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Meghan said...

This is so cute and easy! I made it today and am linking your tutorial on my blog when I post about it tomorrow (littlebitomeghan.blogspot.com). Thanks for sharing! =)

Heidi Boos said...

Yep, I'm doing this RIGHT NOW! You never cease to amaze me, Kelli!!

Paula@SweetPea said...

I love this idea and wish I'd seen it a few days ago. I'm sure that this was a hit at your house!

I'm your newest follower!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...