Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Friday, June 10, 2011

A Litte About OCD and a Sewing Tip

Hi my name is Kelli and I have OCD:) Well it is actually self diagnosed, first born, rule follower, lover of straight lines OCD, but I'm sure a lot of you understand. And let me just say that the need for perfection and crafting don't always go very well together. I have learned that crafts {or at least my crafts} are far from perfect in most cases....and that is something that can be hard for my straight line loving self to accept.
Sewing has been a crafting Achilles heel for me, mostly because I'm not very good at it and that leads to small imperfections that drive me a little bonkers. I have issues with cutting and sewing straight lines...and lets not even talk about trying to sew in a circle:) As I was working on a project that required me to cut really long straight lines I had an idea...a genius idea that made my straight line loving OCD self very happy!
 I borrowed my hubby's chalk line popper thing that you use for making lines on wood. He assisted me in popping a few lines onto the back side of my fabric...
 ....and look what I ended up with! Perfectly straight lines! I couldn't have been happier wth how straight those lines turned out...or how easy they were to achieve! Now if I could just manage to sew these pieces together in a straight line I will be doing good:)
 And just because he is too cute, here is Eli showing off a little bit of what we have been working on in the back yard for the last few weeks. I'm hoping to finish up this weekend and maybe have a full post about our new patio to share with you next week.


Have a great day and paint something bright yellow this weekend:)
Weekend Bloggy Reading
Pin It!

28 comments:

Paula@SweetPea said...

That's a great idea! I'm going to have to buy one for my sewing room.

Kmama said...

Excellent idea.

I'm sure even cutting a straight line, with a chalk line, would be difficult for me.

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Nichol and I have cleaning OCD lol. It is really bad and drives me bonkers if there are messes. I've gotten better since I've had kids though:) Great job on the straight lines,love the photos of Eli!

Unknown said...

First off...I LOVE your fabric choice! So cute!

I am your newest follower!

Yup...sewing and I don't get along either because well...I am a perfectionist and I just can't sew well enough to not get frustrated!!

I can't wait to see how your porch and patio turned out!

Ashley
www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

Just Jaime said...

Great idea! I can't cut or sew a straight line, but this might help! Love how it turned out!

Little City Farm said...

This is absolutely brilliant. I will definitely be using this idea to help with my own OCD tendencies. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

~Shari said...

I can so sympathize with the OCD.

If I could sew - I would so use this little handy dandy tip!!

Judith @ Creating Balance said...

oh my....where did you get that fabric??? Love!!!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Such a great idea!! We have one of those chalk thingys around here somewhere. We used it all the time when we were building. And I love that fabric!!!!!

Rebecca said...

Ha! I have the same kind of OCD! The sneak peek of your patio project looks great. Love the straight line tip. =]

Gail said...

What a clever, practical tip. I'm telling all my sewing friends about your blog and your idea.

Jenna said...

Can't wait to see the finished project - looks fun! I have what a friend coined as OCS - Only Child Syndrome. It's easily confused or can go along with OCD which I also have a bit of! I just laugh and go with it - watcha gonna do? Love your site - thanks for sharing.

Krishna said...

I so understand...I have the same type of OCD (first born, etc). I am going to have to use this for my sewing ideas! I love it! Visiting from Amanda's link up!

MommaD said...

Okay. One of my favorite ideas ever! Must do this soon. Although I don't think hubby will be pleased w/me going in his tool stash, lol!

Connys Cottage said...

that is fantastik.
I love your protject very match.
hugs Conny

laxsupermom said...

Love that fabric! Great tip, and I can't wait to see the final reveal of the pergola! That Eli - what a ham! So cute! Thanks for sharing.

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating said...

Found you at Tater Tots & Jello. You're a first-born, self-diagnosed OCD who follows the rules and must have perfection? I don't know anyone like that. Especially not me. Nope, I'm just a come-as-it-may, whatever works, go-with-the-flow gal. Or maybe I'm just like you. Perfectionists unite! (BTW, neat tip with using the chalk line. I'll have to keep that in mind.)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Kelli, that is an awesome tip!!! You and I are kindred spirits. I am also a first born, OCD-ish, rule follower. I am terrible about cutting in straight lines, but it makes me mad when I can't. The chalk is a great idea. Love the sneak peek!!

Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party, and for linking back (I appreciate that!). :)

Unknown said...

I totally understand about the OCD thing... no problem my friend..we all have our OCD moments. we will just have to work through them and find solutions as you did! great idea with the line chalker thingy. Love the patio photo and the cute little one in the photo
Looking forward to more of the patio work you are doing
Hugs
KAT

Polka said...

very cool idea :)
cannot wait to see the rest of the patio :)

alienbody said...

Hi! Happened upon your blog - not sure how...I kind of got lost. But I had to say that your patio cover project is gorgeous! What a great idea!

Amber said...

I'm a new follower... I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your crafting projects and recipes!!!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Can't wait to see the end result. I already like what I see!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

I can't wait to see the finished project...the fabric is great!!!

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

I can't beleive that my OCD self had not thought of this one yet! Thanks so much for sharing!

Emelie said...

That is brillant! I had such a hard time sewing curtains for that very reason!! I only got one of 3 done and was not thrilled with the final prodct so my other two have been poinned up for lets say the last 6 months? LAME! Now I feel some relief and a desire to get them off the curtain rods and sewn!! You rock!! I am definately going to have to blog about your genius - again!
Thank you!
Em @
athriftyfind.blogspot.com

Emelie said...

And that patio roof or whatever it is is absolutely stunning! I can't wait to see the finished product!!

Dielle said...

I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of gal in most ways and still think this is totally brilliant!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...