Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday Flashback: Craft Edition

**This is a re-post from last year. I have been looking for some great Thanksgiving shirt inspiration for this year, so I figured I would share one of my Thanksgiving shirts for last year in case anyone wants to attempt it for their kiddo!**

I have seen a ton of cute turkey shirts for Thanksgiving floating around the internet lately. I had intentions of making my boys a cute turkey shirt, but was really wishing I could make something a little different and a little more fun instead.

The Shirt of Plenty is what I ended up with after a TON of inspiration {and a template} from Family Fun magazine.
This is the original craft shared in the November issue of Family Fun...SUPER cute Thanksgiving themed felt food. I simply decided to turn my felt food into a shirt instead of making a toy:)
The first step in making this SUPER cute shirt is to print the templates and cut them out. Sometimes the template calls for two of each shape, but you usually only need one.
Use spray adhesive and stick the cut out shapes to different colors of felt. You can mix and match however you want, or follow the suggestions on the templates.
Then add iron-on adhesive to the backside of the felt following the directions on the package.
Cut out the shapes following the template, then remove the paper and the iron-on adhesive backing.
Lay out your design on the shirt and decide where you want each piece to be. Iron the pieces onto the shirt following the directions on your package of iron on adhesive.
The finally step to making The Shirt of Plenty is the most tedious and time consuming....but it also makes a big difference in the appearance of the shirt. Using coordinating colors of embroidery thread, go around the edges of each piece of felt with a running stitch. Make sure to tie off each end of the embroidery thread well, so that the felt pieces stay securely attached.
And that is how you make a SUPER cute Thanksgiving shirt!
Now if I can only find the time {and energy} to make two more:)
Pin It!

12 comments:

carissa said...

love it. i especially like the stitching. i am all about iron ons. the less sewing the better... since i don't know how! ; )

Kmama said...

I remember this from last year. So cute. Look how little Eli looks!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I remember this one! Such a cute project!

Kelli said...

I remember this! I just adore your creativity and how you make everything so special :)

Jamie said...

that's so cute! I never thought to use felt on a shirt!

Justine of SewCountryChick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justine of SewCountryChick said...

That is so darn cute! I have a little sewing and fabric craft linky party I'm starting tomorrow and I was wondering if you could be so kind to stop by and post it? Thanks so much!
Sew Country Chick

Foursons said...

I remember this from last year. Can the boys still wear their shirts?

Lorie said...

These are all so cute! I saw them when you submitted them to tip junkie. This one is schedule for TJ later this week!

Miller Racing Family said...

Girl I loved this shirt the first time I saw it. I am hoping to make some turkey dish towels with the kids hand prints this week.
Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

What a fantastic idea! My son would get a kick out of it. Would you share it here?

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/shine-on-fridays-1.html

Anonymous said...

I remember them, loved them then, and still love them now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...