Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pilgrim and Indian Initial Tees

I have shared countless times about my slight obsession love of crafty kids' holiday shirts. I'm actually starting to think that maybe I should start a support group, but I might be the only crazy member! Anyway, with Thanksgiving only a week away, I decided to take advantage of our little sick day yesterday and get some sewing done on the boys' shirts for this year. I knew I wanted to attempt a cute turkey face shirt for Eli {I'll share his shirt later after I figure out how to add the eyes without making the turkey look crazy}, but I wasn't quite sure about what to do for Henry and Grant. I stumbled across a Pilgrim initial tee on Etsy earlier this week and as soon as I saw it I knew my boys were getting Pilgrim and Indian shirts this year:)
I won't bore you with all the details{and a million pictures} of how I made these shirts...you can go back and check out one of my other step by step tutorials if you like. But just so this isn't a single picture with a ton of rambling, I will share a quick rundown of how I made these.

**Print out each kiddos initial {mirrored} and attach it to orange and white gingham.**
**Cut out the letters and attach them to some orange felt.**
**Sew the letters to the felt with a zig-zag stitch and then cut around each letter leaving an orange border.**
**Use spray adhesive to hold the letter to the shirt, then stitch around the letter to attach it.**
**Make the pilgrim hat and indian headband out of scraps of felt. **
**Use spray adhesive to hold them in place and then sew them onto the shirts.** 

Really the hardest parts of this project are deciding which font to use for the letters and getting the proportions of the hat right so that it looks like a Pilgrim's hat and not a crazy top hat:) For those of you that don't sew, you could also make this no sew with some ultra hold iron on adhesive! Except for the new white long sleeve shirts, I used all materials that were in my craft stash making these shirts cost around $5 each. Not too bad for two SUPER cute Thanksgiving shirts!
Weekend Bloggy Reading
Pin It!

15 comments:

Sweet Mama Sweet said...

oh my goodness! I have been racking my brain for a cute idea for my boys for Thanksgiving, and I am so copying you-i love these!adorable(:

Kmama said...

Those are really cute. Unless it's just my imagination, Henry and Grant are really close in size, aren't they?

Carrie said...

Love those!!! and Grant's smile is too cute :-) great idea, can't wait to see Eli's!

Angie said...

Cute!!! You are awesome!

Richella Parham said...

These are absolutely darling. How I wish I'd known you back when my own three boys were little ones! :)

Anonymous said...

You are definitely not the only one! I am anxiously awaiting my Silhouette for Christmas so I can make some too! I do not have a sewing bone in my body so I am looking forward to the iron on ability!

Miller Racing Family said...

These are super cute. I always love how you add in their letter for their names.
Have a great day!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Those are too much fun, Kelli!! Love the Indian one, especially. Very creative. :)

Lori Beth said...

Can I join your support group? ;) I love holiday shirts and well clothing. I'm such a sucker for a good festive shirt or outfit. Great job!

Positively Angel said...

Love your tees, they are so unique. Thanks for posting:)

Southern Fried Gal said...

These turned out so cute!

notyet100 said...

Cute Tshirts ,,

Anonymous said...

How cute! They turned out perfect!

Joanna said...

You may have an obsession but it's awesome! Those turned out really great. I want a sewing machine so bad so that I can make all the cute personalized shirts that you make and that I keep running across on Pinterest. Every time I see something on Pinterest that requires a sewing machine I really kinda of kick myself for not having one. Maybe that's what I'll ask for for Christmas!

He & Me + 3 said...

ADORABLE!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...