Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Friday, November 18, 2011

Gobble, Gobble: Turkey Waffles

Yesterday I admitted my obsession with crafty kids shirts, so now it's time for me to admit that I am just a little bit obsessed with fun waffles too! The first waffle I made was a rainbow waffle to celebrate St. Patty's Day. It's fun to have a colorful breakfast to help celebrate a holiday...but once I started I couldn't stop. I've shared some just because waffles {cupcake waffles} and a whole lot of holiday ones too {candy corn and jack o lantern}.

I have been brainstorming Thanksgiving ideas for a while now. It's amazing how hard it is to come up with a good waffle idea for a holiday based around food:) I tried to make Cornucopia Waffles with an abundance of M&M's, but all that did was make a huge mess of the waffle iron. So I decided to give Turkey Waffles a try instead. Now I know the name makes them sound kind of gross because seriously who wants savory turkey hiding in their waffles! Don't let the name scare you off...there is not a trace of real turkey in these fun and colorful Thanksgiving waffles:)
I started with the usual suspects...and my usual helper:) 
**waffle mix, food coloring, and Eli**
 Mix up your waffles according to the directions. You will need four waffles total to make two turkeys. By the way, these are sharing waffles...two people per turkey:)
*Start by making one plain waffle.*
*While that waffle is cooking divide your remaining batter into three bowls.*
*Add green, yellow, and orange food coloring each into one of the bowls and stir to combine.* 
*Cook the three colored waffles and then get ready to assemble.*

Start by cutting the plain waffle in half and the colored waffles into quarters.
Lay out the colored waffles in a turkey tail pattern starting with the outside ones{green here} and working your way in. Lay the half plain waffle on top of the turkey tail and adjust as needed. Use one of the leftover yellow quarter waffles to make a beak for your waffle. I simply cut off the pointed edge and added it on top of the plain waffle. 
What kind of fun foods are you making to celebrate Thanksgiving this year?
Pin It!

20 comments:

Karie @ The HoB said...

I never thought to use food coloring in my waffle mix! Love it and my boys would be super excited to get these on their breakfast plate, will have to try this weekend!!

Miller Racing Family said...

I love these! I have actually asked for a waffle iron for Christmas, because I love all your holiday creations.
Have a great weekend!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

You are so creative! What a fun breakfast. :)

Janel from NellieBellie said...

Okay...I read the title of this post in my reader. It seriously said Turkey Waffles. What?!? You were serious. Ha! Love it...so fun!

Tenille said...

These are so cute. What a fun breakfast to do for the kids on Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing. I would love it if you could link this up to our linky party going on right now.

http://junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com/2011/11/link-it-up-wednesday-3.html

Ladybird Ln said...

What a fun idea, I am trying to think, does my family eat breafast on Thanksgiving? LOL... I am having a Turkey Show Off party on my blog this weekend, complete with prizes, and would love for you to come share this!

Carlee
http://www.ladybirdln.com/2011/11/turkey-show-off-party.html

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

What a cute idea. Never thought of dying waffles.
Jamie
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

P.S. I have another giveaway going on right now. Would love you to stop by and check it out.

Michaela @ coveredinmodpodge.blogspot.com said...

These would be a perfect thanksgiving breakfast! thanks for sharing!

coveredinmodpodge.blogspot.com

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Love this! What a sweet idea!!!

carissa said...

of course you'd create something this cool and cute. LOVE it! still have to find a good egg-free recipe for waffles so i can make them for Hunter. one day!

Joanna said...

How cute are these?! You always make the cutest breakfasts!! I know your kids love breakfast around the holidays. :-) I have still got to get a waffle iron to do all these cute waffles.

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

I MUST get a waffle maker!!
These are the cutest things I've ever seen!!!

Foursons said...

One of these days I'm gonna make fancy waffles. It may not be until I have grandkids, but by golly I'm gonna do it.

He & Me + 3 said...

How do you find the time? Seriously? Love this.

Angie said...

once again...cutest waffles ever!!!

Sweet Mama Sweet said...

adorable as always!

Crafty Mischief said...

I must make these! I found you through Skip to My Lou. Thanks for sharing!

Emily Thompson said...

so cute! I love it. Came over from Made By YOu Monday, and so glad I did! Would love for you to come link up to my Tasty Tuesday party going on now. http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/2011/11/broccoli-cheese-soup-and-tasty-tuesday.html

Kelli said...

You always make me want waffles :) Maybe I should put a waffle iron on my Christmas list.

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

can you send Eli down so he can help us make some waffles? He seems to be the missing ingredient. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...