Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Guest Post: Baked Zucchini Bites

So excited to be able to share a post with Kelli's readers today! My name is Amanda, and I blog at Serenity Now, a lifestyle blog. Something I've been thinking a lot about lately is eating healthy, and what better way than to use those things in our garden called vegetables? I know it sounds crazy, but I thought "Wouldn't it be cool if I could find a good use for those greeny things I've been growing all summer?"

My sister is a great cook, and she shared a zucchini recipe with me that I just had to try. Before you click away, let me just say that I normally find zucchini to be fairly blech unless it is all shredded up in a sweet bread recipe. I found this recipe to be absolutely delicious....I make such an effort for my girls to eat balanced meals--it's time for me to do the same!


Baked Zucchini Bites

Ingredients:

1-2 Large Zucchinis (depending on how many "bites" you want)

Bread Crumbs

Egg Yolk

Herbs

Garlic Powder

Salt and Pepper, to taste




My grocery was out of bread crumbs when I rushed in with two cranky kids, so I had to settle for herb seasoned stuffing mix, which I crushed in a plastic baggie with a rolling pin and placed in a small plastic container:


I sliced my zucchini into thin pieces and set up a little "dipping station." (Please forgive the photos...a thunderstorm came through as I was cooking and ruined my lighting--a blogger's worst nightmare!)


The first station was to dip a slice into the egg, then coat with bread crumbs and set aside:









I placed the zucchini bites in a single layer on a baking sheet and baked them for 20 minutes at 450 degrees F. I was rewarded with a nice plate of tasty veggies!


Paired with a small salad and some chicken, it was a great dinner. I'll be posting the recipe for the Red Pepper Chipotle Lime Sauce soon if you're interested in a great veggie dip/spread:


What are some ways you "dress up" healthy food to make it tasty for your family?

Thank you so much, Kelli, for sharing your blog with me today!
I hope Random Thoughts of a SUPERMOM readers will stop by Serenity Now to say hi. You'll find crafts, thrifty decorating, recipes, and more at my blog. I also host a weekly Weekend Bloggy Reading party for bloggers to share their best post of the week. I'd love to "see" you there!
Pin It!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh yummy! I've made something similar but in fries & sprinkled some grated parmesean on top too. Nice to know the bread stuffing would work in a pinch too! :-)

Richella Parham said...

These look absolutely delicious, especially with that sauce. I never would have thought about baking these--I've seen similar things but they've all been fried, so I haven't paid attention to the recipes. I figured we didn't need one more fried thing in our diets! But these look both yummy and not bad for you.

Would you believe that I rarely buy bread crumbs any more? We always have a big bag of croutons on hand for use in salads. When I need bread crumbs, I just throw some croutons into the food processor. I like the fact that I can make the crumbs coarse or fine depending on what I'm cooking.

Erin said...

This looks wonderful! We love zucchini here so this would be perfect! Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

I make them similar and love them. My kids won't touch zucchini so more for me:)

Southern Sisters said...

oh that looks so yummy!!!!

Paula@SweetPea said...

I am definitely trying your recipe. I have a fresh picked zuchini on my counter that I've been wondering something different I could do with it. This summer I've grilled zuchini; sauted it; dipped it in pancake batter, cooked it like a pancake, and then sprinkled it with sugar; and roasted it. Your recipe will be something new for us!

Joanna said...

This looks and sounds amazing! This is one veggie that I actually eat. I'll have to give this a try to change things up a bit.

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

My kids love seasoned stuffing mix. They'd eat it by the handfuls if I'd let them. This recipe should be a winner at our house.

Anonymous said...

I am making the zucchini on Sunday. Would love the dip recipe...pretty please?

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Oh those look so yummy! My husband and I love zucchini, I just know he'd love this!

Heather951 said...

These look delish! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to make them!

LisaMarie said...

mmmmmmm this looks so yummy it's making me hungry! I think I'm gonna make this tonight with dinner!!
http://thislittleshabbychicvegangirl.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...